Today it snowed quite a lot. It had snowed the night before and there was a
good 2 or 3 cm of snow on the ground. There was a very heavy snowfall in the
morning when we went into the town. The roads in this picture are clear because there is probably underground pipes heating the road. Everything looks better when it's white,
especially while it is snowing. In the four days that I have been here, I have
already seen about 5 types of snowfall, it is quite amazing the different ways
that snow can form. Since I had never seen snow falling, I didn't know that
one can see the snow crystals. When you catch a flake it is quite amazing to
look at it and see the structure.I am here with my research supervisor (John) and his wife (Blanca) and two kids (Carolina and Alejandra). They all speak French and Spanish and are learning various others. We went and bought me a mobile phone today. John got me to do the talking. I managed to ask for a phone, but after that I missed what the person said and Blanca had to help me out. It's difficult not being able to understand people and not knowing what to say. I managed to understand at the cafeteria better today. Just as I was leaving I think the woman serving said something about my French being better than the previous time I was there.
We get a bit of French happening over breakfast, so I can learn a bit then since they can explain to me in English what things mean. There are enough people speaking French around me too that I am hoping my brain will decide that the French sounds are important and that it should pay attention. The next trick after that is just to learn enough words and the grammar. I'll also try to ask for things at shops and see how I go. I'll have to find people to talk to, that shouldn't be too hard since it seems like most people only speak French.
This has been a very interesting week of settling in. There has been some good snow and some good food. I think I am getting past the jetlag. I now know where everything is, I can find my way around town, I know how to ask to change money and now I just need to work out the names of things I might want to buy. This looks like it is going to be a very fun and interesting trip.
No comments:
Post a Comment